See schedule for show descriptions
The Shadow Box
Written by Michael Cristofer
February 9th from 10:30-12:30 Held at the Buchanan Tin Shop Theatre on the corner of Roe and Oak.
February 8th from 6:00-8:00 Held at the Red Bud City Center in Buchanan Michigan
Directed by Megan Goodrich and Kelly Carlin
Performance dates - April 5th, 6th, 7th, 11th, 12th, 13th, & 14th
In this compelling dramatic triptych, three terminal cancer patients dwell in separate cottages on a hospital grounds. The three are attended and visited by family and close friends: Agnes and her mother Felicity, estranged further by the latter’s of dementia; Brian and Beverly, whose marital complications are exacerbated by Brian’s new lover, Mark; and Joe and Maggie, unready for the strain of Joe’s impending death and its effect on their teenage son.
- Does contain mature language
Joe - Terminally ill patient coping with visiting his wife and son. Age 30+
Maggie - Brian’s wife, unsure how to handle what is about to happen. Age 30+
Steve - Joe and Maggie’s teenage son who does not know his father's illness has become terminal. Age 12-20
Brian - Terminally ill patient who is taking every opportunity he passed up before he was sick. Very philosophical. Age 30+
Beverly - Brian’s ex wife who comes to visit. She is often drunk and her personality tends to be a little over the top. Age 30+
Mark - Brian’s partner who has been taking care of him through his treatment. Is angry and unsure how to handle what is happening. Age 30+
Felicity - Terminally ill patient who also has Alzheimer’s. Often enjoys singing and is easily upset and confused. Age 50+
Agnes - Felicity’s daughter who has been taking care of her. Is overwhelmed and reads letters to Felicity. Age 20+
Interviewer - Talks with the patients and their visitors periodically throughout the play. Can be male or female.
For questions contact Megan Goodrich at email@example.com
Auditions for Wild Dust
Sunday, February 10th 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Tuesday, February 12th 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
at the Redbud Community Center
" It is 1880 and a dust storm is about to hit the town of Willow Creek. Wild place at a time with the west was wild (the wind is wilder), the women were soft and the men were brave! The worst dust storm in a decade was about to hit the town, and all the men had gone to drive the horses and cattle to safer shelter to ride out the storm. That left the women of the town to fend for themselves in the only building strong enough to withstand the pounding sand - the town saloon which was the town brothel. So four "fallen ladies" and three "society ladies of the town" are thrown together for the next 72 hours, along with the bartender, a mysterious cowboy and a dancing corpse! For three days they confront the elements, each other, and the hardest of all - themselves. It is a comic romp with lots of slamming doors, mistaken identities, and one very dead body! No one is exactly what they seem, and everyone's got a secret hidden up their sleeve."
Cast of characters:
1-3 Men, 7-12 Women
- COOPER -- 30 -45, competent horseman, decent man who got off track.
- MARION - 30 - 45, a boisterous, full-figured woman;, flamboyant in a world with no appreciation for it; Earth Mother in a red satin nightie.
- BELLE - a Georgia-born beauty; eye candy with a huge heart; she's eating with one chopstick, but life can not kick her without her bouncing back!
- SALLY - mid-30's; a cynical weather tested woman, possibly of Asian, Hispanic, or African decent; pretty, but has the heart of a banker; if it ain't all that gold - who cares if it glitters.
- HARD CORA - dearly 30's; a woman out of time; if she had been born today, she'd be a career superstar; but a strong woman back then was less than feminine, less than appealing, less than a man; although she's better than most.
- DENISE - a dreamer who for too long has been lost in make believe; she's about to hit life head-on and not just survive, but thrive.
- LOUISE STYLES - a woman in between 45 and 75; smart sophisticated, opinionated with a capital "O", and more than a little self-righteous.
- GERTIE - Louise's daughter, a repressed childhood and upbringing are help back on a leash of gossamer; a good girl about to hit the fan!
- REBECCA - 30-40's, a sturdy woman with her own sense of identity; recently blinded and hating that handicap that has cost her independence!
- MARTIN - the bartender, good looking, but a bit of a scoundrel.
- We will need stage hands, costuming help, set clean-up (due to the sand storm wind and dust!). This should be great fun for the cast, crew, and audience!
- Each cast member may need to help to organize carol their own costuming. The men will need cowboy boots and hats.